A Parent’s Worst Nightmare: Steps to Take if Your Child is Abducted, Part I

11 May
  • Once you are sure your child has been abducted, immediately call or go to your local law-enforcement agency and file a missing-person report. Complete a “Missing-Person      Report for an Abducted Child,” and bring it with you when going to your local law-enforcement agency.
  • Ask law enforcement to enter information about your child into the FBI’s NCIC. Federal law requires law enforcement to enter each missing-child case into NCIC within two hours of report receipt. Law enforcement will decide if the circumstances of a child’s disappearance meet the protocol for activation of an America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response (AMBER) Alert and/or other community notification.
  • Report your child missing to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) by calling toll-free at 1-800-THE-LOST® (1-800-843-5678). Visit NCMEC’s website at
  • Verify law enforcement has made the NCIC entry. If you cannot get this information from your local law-enforcement agency, call NCMEC toll-free at 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678) and ask them to check NCIC to see if your child is listed. NCMEC can confirm NCIC entries but is not authorized to make them.
  • If law enforcement does not enter information about your child into NCIC, your missing-child clearinghouse may be able to help by contacting law enforcement about your case. Contact NCMEC for additional information. You can also ask your local FBI office to enter information about your child into NCIC. The Missing Children Act authorizes the FBI to make such entries. Contact information for the FBI is available in your local telephone book and at

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: