Monthly Archives: January 2013

Family Services Issue Focused Evaluations: Part 4

During the course of the IFE, the counselor may schedule additional individual appointments with one or both of the parents. Arrangements may also be made to meet with the children at one or both of the parents’ homes and/or the Family Services Office. This part of the evaluation process will be decided by the FRC based on the issue that was referred.

At the time the counselor’s work in the IFE in done, a final conference will be held with the parents and the attorneys/GALs in the case. When it is not possible to meet together, other arrangements will be made.


Leave a comment

Posted by on January 31, 2013 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Family Services Issue Focused Evaluations: Part 3

The FRC’s role in this process is to explore and assess the concerns of each parent and to make recommendations about a parenting plan that will benefit the children. To do this, the FRC will gather information from both parents and contact professionals involved with the family (such as teachers, doctors, therapists, and others) The IFE is not confidential, which means that this information will be shared with the parents, the attorneys, and Guardians Ad Litem (GAL) involved in the matter, and the Court.


So that information can be shared between the professional providers and Family Services, Authorization for Release of Information forms must be signed. If either party has copies of records/reports they may also submitted to the FRC. However, the person who wrote the record/report must be available to the FRC during the evaluation process to answer any questions the FRC may have about the report/record.

Leave a comment

Posted by on January 30, 2013 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Family Services Issue Focused Evaluations: Part 2

What to Expect


To take part in an Issue Focused Evaluation you must be referred from the Family Court. The Judge will enter an order defining the concern that will be evaluated and/or the limits of what will be dealt with in the process. Because the the evaluation is limited, our involvement in the matter will be brief.


Shortly after the court referral, the case will be assigned to a Family Relations Counselor (FRC). A letter from the FRC will be sent scheduling the first appointment. In most cases, the first meeting is held with the parents together. This gives both parents a chance to share their concerns and proposals with the FRC and each other. NOTE: If you have safety concerns about meeting with your child’s other parent, you should contact your FRC when you get the appointment letter to talk about those concerns.

Leave a comment

Posted by on January 29, 2013 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Family Services Issue Focused Evaluations: Part 1


Raising children is not easy. However, caring for children when parents are no longer together can be even more difficult. Although parents may try to work out their differences regarding the care of their children, visitation schedules, or parenting responsibilities, this is not always possible. In some instances, the Court’s involvement is needed to help make the final decisions. Family Services offers the Issue Focused Evaluation (IFE) as a way of helping parents solve a specific concern through an evaluation that limits the extent and time the family is involved in the process.


For many parents, the evaluation process becomes a learning experience that helps them settle their differences without the need for a court hearing. This resolution also works towards the development of a healthy parenting arrangement that contributes to the positive growth and development of the children.

Leave a comment

Posted by on January 28, 2013 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Custodial Parent FAQs: Part 9

Q: Can the amount of my child support order be changed?


A: Yes, the court can change your order. SES has a process called “review and adjustment” which can assist you in getting your case before the court. SES will accept either a written or verbal request asking for a review of your order and we will start the review process. You may also hire an attorney or go to court on your own (self-represented).



Q: How does the ‘review and adjustment’ process work?


A: Upon receipt of your request, SES will mail you some forms to verify your income information. Complete and return the paperwork and we will start the review. Using the Connecticut Child Support and Arrearage Guidelines and both parties’ income, we will calculate a support amount. If your order is more than 15% different from our calculations, we will begin court action to change your order. Also, in limited situations, SES can help change orders if there has been a substantial change in circumstances since your order was set.

Leave a comment

Posted by on January 25, 2013 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Custodial Parent FAQs: Part 8

Q: What should I do if I receive a payment directly from the noncustodial parent?


A: All child support payments must be made through the State Disbursement Unit. However, if you do receive a child support payment directly from the noncustodial parent, please mail or fax a signed statement to SES telling us who you received the money from, the amount received and the date of receipt. This information will be used to update the payment records in your case.



Q: Who do I contact to get more information about my child support payments?


A: The fastest and easiest way to get payment information is to call the Child Support Information Line at 1-888-233-7223. The Information Line provides information about when a payment was made, the amount and when your payment was processed.

Leave a comment

Posted by on January 24, 2013 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Custodial Parent FAQs: Part 7

Q: Does a second family affect a child support order?

A: When a child support order is established, a noncustodial parent’s second family will be reflected in the support calculation. However, once the child support order has been established, a second family is not considered a valid reason to modify the support order for the first family.


Q: Will SES help collect any amounts owed after my current support ends?

A: Yes. SES will continue to enforce the order to collect any amounts that are owed.


Q: When does the child support order end?

A: In general, the duty to support created by a child support order ends when the child reaches the age of 18. However, this general rule may vary from state to state. For example, in Connecticut, the duty to support may extend to age 19 if the child is still in high school. Please contact SES for a more accurate determination about the duration of your child’s support order.

Leave a comment

Posted by on January 23, 2013 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,